Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Do your kids get too much homework?


 I have four kids- a senior, a freshmen, a 5th grader, and a 3rd grader.  YES they get too much homework!  I hate it!  Sometimes I wonder wth they are learning at school because it feels like I'm doing all the teaching at home.   Sometimes I wonder if the teachers think about the parents when they give homework.  We work too, the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is help kids w/ homework.  I had one teacher tell me, "it's quality time together.."  uh NO it's not.  Especially if the weather's nice or we have something else(sports, etc..) we have to do.  It's a fight to get them to do it, and then sometimes do it right.  SOMEtimes it's something they didn't even work on in class and they don't know how to do it, and I don't know how to do it(especially math, why do they make kids do things the LONG way when I can show them how to figure it out in seconds?), then it's one big frustration for all of us.   I'd rather go outside and play w/ my kids or play a family game or something for quality time NOT do homework.  Sometimes it takes HOURS especially for the older kids...why do they need to do hours of homework?  I ask them, did you work on this in class?  They tell me "no the teacher said it was homework, we worked on other stuff in class.."  One of my kids told me they got in trouble for working on their homework in class.  They got done w/ their class work, so got out their homework and started on it and then the teacher grabbed it, ripped it up and threw it away.  I was of course instantly livid and talked to the teach about it and got it sorted out, but WTH?
I have a group on facebook "Parents against homework" feel free to look it up and join.  

No comments:

Post a Comment